Thursday, July 22, 2010

What drives you to chose the career of being a writer?

Well, I wouldn’t call it a career. I had one of those — a Marketing Director at a Fortune 500 company. To me a career is something interesting to earn your living. I now earn my living in a greatly reduced corporate capacity. Writing, on the other hand, is my vocation. It’s what I do and have been doing since I was thirteen, and that’s fifty years ago. The only difference now is in the professional aspects of it. Now I publish what I author and thereby share it with readers. Now that’s novel, isn’t it? However, I also have the responsibility to serve up the best possible product within my abilities (shades of the marketing director). I have a passion and to share that passion is a joy. To know that someone else is reading and enjoying my books (or rolling them in dog food) is a mighty pleasure. I guess the notion that something beyond my final heartbeat will linger drives me forward to the end.


Edward C. Patterson

No comments: